Just like any weight loss program, sometimes the hardest part is simply the “maintenance stage”. However, it is pivotal to ensure ultimate success. In a seller's case, this means getting the home under contract and to the closing table!
Being a “Model” Seller
- Make every attempt to not be at home when folks come to view your property. Go for a walk with the dog and kids or take a drive. We want buyers to feel welcome and un-rushed. If you must be there, step outside or into a quiet spot so you don't disturb them. Keep your kids with you; don't allow them to follow the buyers or their agent around during the showing. Naturally, you are welcome to exchange pleasantries and answer questions they ask you. However, it's always better for the agent to contact Erin with questions.
- Keep the home tidy and de-cluttered, especially the kitchen, bathrooms, family room. This includes baby bottles and baby equipment. If you need to have something out, find a corner to store it when not in use.
- Keep the outside of the fridge free of papers and tons of magnets. Store items under cabinets or in pantries when not in use. Feel free to use baskets for storage of toiletries, toys, blankets, magazines, mail, etc. that needs to be accessed easily. Baskets also make a speedy clean-up much easier.
- If you have started packing and need a “catch all” room for storage, pick a spot that isn't a high traffic area. (garage/spare bedroom/living room). Just remember, this room needs to be in “organized” chaos (items in boxes, bins,baskets, bags).
- Avoid cooking prior to showings,(baking is ok). You don't want your home to smell like your dinner.
- Empty inside trash cans frequently.
- Religiously scoop and clean any cat boxes.
- Clean up after pets inside and out! This includes toys, food, waste and pet hair.
- Take pets out during showings or make sure they are contained in an area where they are comfortable, (not too hot or too cold ) and have plenty of drinking water. Even pet lovers would rather not have your pets jumping on them, darting for the door or making a bunch of noise during their showing.
- Keep blinds open, drapes pulled back, lights on!!!