The Tesla Model S is an amazing car, with unbelievable technology; but practical? One Realtor in Richmond, VA is hoping it is! Safety is the number one concern when you drive as much as a Realtor. You can’t put a price on your life or the lives of your passengers. Gasoline may not be as expensive as it used to be, but at $2.29 for premium gas, it’s not cheap either. Spending thousands of hours a year on the road selling Richmond, VA real estate can also put a lot of wear and tear on a person. Being able to drive in comfort, with everything at your fingertips is really important. After all, this is a Realtor’s office most of the time.
Erin Melton, Associate Broker with RE/MAX Peninsula, recently became a member of the Tesla family. As the team leader of The Melton Team, Erin gives a lot of thought to any business decision and this was no different. Let’s take a look at the numbers and see how they work out.
- Safety: The safety of yourself and other drivers is priority #1. Realtors in Richmond, VA are helping families with the largest purchase of their lifetime and they need to be focused. Being in the safest “traveling office” in the world gives a real estate agent one less worry and more time to focus on their clients.
- Emergencies: In case of emergency, Tesla has emergency stopping at up to 90 miles per hour with the latest update. Update? Yes; each update is downloaded to your vehicle in the same way your iPhone updates to new software. This is especially important for safety features. Ever purchase a car that comes out with an essential safety feature in the next model year?
- The Future is Now: Some people think we’re on the very edge of the future. A future where accidents slowly become a thing of the past. Tesla is pushing the boundaries with its fully autonomous driving. While it isn’t available yet in VA, autonomous features are slowly taking hold. On highways and interstates, the Tesla Model S will drive itself. “Look mom, no hands!” Seems scary but it quickly becomes a very comfortable way to drive. Is it really “no hands?”, not quite, you still have to keep your hands on the wheel. The car alerts you if you don’t (it can even take away your autonomous privileges), but make no mistake, you are not driving. This feature alone, gives you back precious time to spend engaged with your clients. The car does not get distracted. It is fully engaged at all times.
- Cost of Gas: Gasoline to the average driver is a small expense and therefore a Tesla is not economically practical. A Realtor can spend 70-80,000 miles a year on the road. The cost of gas can add up quickly! 80,000 miles at $2.29 a gallon (22 mpg/avg) comes out to about $694 a month. Wow!!
- Cost of Electricity: Charging your car is split into two parts. About 50% of the time, Erin powers up at one of Tesla’s supercharging stations, which are free as long as she owns the vehicle. The other 50% is on the road or at home which so far has added about $150 per month.
- Time: The time it takes to re-charge seems like a real hassle. Surprisingly for Erin, it has been a great time to stop and re-focus on things she can’t do on-the-go.
- The Frunk: One of the most overlooked features is perfect for a Realtor on the go; the “frunk.” There isn’t an engine in the front of the car or the back so you regain that area for storage. Files, signs, directionals, lock-boxes, marketing materials and more, all at your fingertips.
- 17” Touchscreen: Navigation, safety camera and many more features are front and center. Detailed turn by turn navigation is also on the left side of your instrument panel.
- Voice Control: Many cars today have blue tooth technology and voice control features. The Tesla takes it a step further. You can literally control everything with the sound of your voice.
The Tesla Model S is an amazing vehicle and the future looks even better. As soon as laws catch up with technology, the current Model S is fully capable of becoming touch and go! Put in your destination, sit back, relax and enjoy the ride! This will surely be an invaluable tool for real estate agents around the world!